27 November 2009

so very thankful

Thanksgiving-what a wonderful reason to stop from the hustle and bustle of this extra busy time of year and truly appreciate all of life's blessings. (I say extra busy time of year because I cannot believe how busy this fall/football/birthday/anniversary/Thanksgiving/baby season has been for this family).
Although different from any other, we had a truly wonderful Thanksgiving yesterday. We are used to-and certainly missed-extended family gatherings with too much food and non-stop fun and activities. However, due to my being 38 weeks pregnant, travel to visit either family was not possible and we enjoyed a very quiet holiday at home in Pittsburgh.
I said from very early on that I was not going to make a full Thanksgiving dinner for just the three of us but as one could guess-of course, I did! I did take a shortcut on making only a turkey breast and some purchased stuffing but the rest was from scratch and I'm somewhat pleased knowing that this far along into my pregnancy, I can still do a lot! Thankfully, I made the food and the mess and Bryan did the cleaning up afterward because if it were left up to me, the dishes would probably still be in the sink! I think the biggest hit was the homemade apple pie. Today at dinner Gio, who was eating his leftover turkey, gave me his plate and said 'apple pie'-he is just like his mother!! We ate early so that we were literally able to do nothing the rest of the day-a rare treat for Bryan and I. Gio truly loved having our undivided attention and a special treat of watching 'dogs' aka 101 Dalmations!
We cherished the day as a family of three, knowing that things are about to change very, very soon!! This is such a special time in our lives with Gio. It is so much fun to share in his world and we cannot wait to experience all of this joy again with another baby! We are so thankful for the blessings in our lives and yesterday was a great day to sit back, relax, and focus on just that.
Happy Thanksgiving weekend to all!!

No comments: