05 March 2009

all growed up

How did this happen so quickly? One day I am rocking my inconsolable little boy, trying to get him to sleep as he clings his sweet arms around my neck, and the next he is full of excitement and curiosity running to see the joy that awaits him outdoors on a crisp March day.

Milestones are around every corner right now, this week was no different. Our ritual for the past 10 months has been very much the same every night. Bryan walks in the door from his 12-hour work day and I punch my time clock letting him know that my shift is finished. Well, actually, my shift as 'mom' is over but my shift as 'gourmet chef and housekeeper' is just beginning! Okay, gourmet may be pushing it just a little but anything that is prepared on the stove and not the microwave is gourmet to us these days.
Bryan has always been the bath and bedtime guy and the three of us have grown to really love this ritual. I enjoy hearing the two of them laughing as Gio splashes and plays with his shark and Leap the frog singing the ABCs. I know Bryan loves the opportunity to unwind from a busy day by spending time with his son just as much as I love listening to them. As I listen to my guys, I prepare his room: dim lights-check, classical music-check, sippy hidden under the pillow so Gio doesn't see it too soon-check, a sweet kiss goodnight-check and it is back to father and son time with a rock in the chair before prayers and wishes for sweet dreams throughout the night.
Well, the day came where little by little he became less interested in the milk and more interested in jumping in the crib to catch some shuteye. We decided to just stop on Saturday and he has been sleeping soundly ever since. Bryan admitted last night what I had been thinking as well. "Wow, I'm a little sad he has outgrown his bottle before bed". I think that was the first moment I realized how quickly our little boy is changing right before our very eyes. I was so worried about stopping this ritual for the fear of how he would handle the change. I am so relieved that it was his choosing and he will not be scarred for life thinking that mom and dad took his bottle away before he was ready-oh, the therapy bills we have dodged for the time being!
Thankfully, as he turns 16 months old today, he still likes to be rocked when he is tired or hurt or just needs a hug and for that we are very grateful.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: